Saturday, July 23, 2011

HTC 5: Lahontan Cutthroat -- 2 Fish, 1 out of Water


Well, the Lahontan Cutthroat Trout is a beautiful fish that lives in a beautiful area. I had a little trouble with the altitude, but with the help of four members of the Davis Flyfishers club, I was able to land my first Lahontan Cutthroat. Little did I know that the adventure of the day had just started, and those events will be covered in a separate post.

I did like the fact that they carried large plastic bags to put water in and to keep the fish wet. The fish calm down quickly when in the bag, a picture can be taken, and then the fish can be released easily. I also liked the camaraderie between fly fishermen. Two of the members of the Davis Flyfishers were leading a HTC trip, with the other two catching their first Lahontans. When I met up with them, each member had caught a Lahontan. They collectively decided that the next fish to be caught was by me. They let me first on the water, cheered me on, and nobody fished until I got my fish. They even let me use one of their rods that had a nymph on it so I didn't have to retie.

All I can say is that it was a beautiful experience, several people increased their karma bank accounts, and I'll be there for someone down the road when needed.
Have fun,
Shane

No comments:

Post a Comment