Monday, April 6, 2009

Saturday: Beautiful but no fish


The boat: 11 feet of rip-roaring power (5 hp)


I fished 4 hours on Saturday (1 - 4 and 5-6), between the boat dock and "pile of rocks" near Pine Cove Marina. I trolled with a floating fly line / sink tip, drifted midges in the wind, and blind cast wooly buggers on an intermediate line. Not a single take. I did see one person land a 16 inch fish between the docks and the island. He was using a "black AP Nymph", drifting and stripping. He worked the water hard while I just floated around lol.

The weather was great: clear, 60 degrees (T-Shirt Weather), very few bugs were active, and the water was green with about 5 foot visibility. There were very few boats on the water -- about a max of 3 at a time.

I did see two fish rise, if torpedoing 3 feet straight up out of the water can be called a "rise". I thought they were bass because they were SO FAT that they didn't look like trout---their bellies were extended probably filled with 1000's of midges.


Traffic Jam: Another Fisherman AND a Canoe

Yes, no trout were caught, but I had a much better time on the water than pretty much anything else that was possible (a backstage party would be better, but let's be real). Spring has started and I'm sure the fishing will pick up, especially on weekends that I'm unable to participate on the water. All in all it was a pleasant day even with the skunk on the boat. I'm waiting for the water to clear so the fish can see the flies along their cruising routes. Until then, it's trying to blindly drop the fly just in front of their noses.

Good Luck All

No comments:

Post a Comment